Join CAUK today


Support CAUK today

Contact Us

Phone or email

Access to Work

If you’re disabled or have a physical or mental health condition and the help you need at work is not covered by your employer making reasonable adjustments you may be able to claim help from Access to Work.

You need to have a paid job, or be about to start or return to one, but you might not get a grant if you already get certain benefits. The money does not have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.

You will be offered support based on your needs, which may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace, which can include your home if you work from there some or all of the time.

An Access to Work grant can pay for items or services you need, including:

  • adaptations to the equipment you use;
  • special equipment or software;
  • British Sign Language interpreters and video relay service support, lip speakers or note takers;
  • adaptations to your vehicle so you can get to work;
  • taxi fares to work or a support worker if you cannot use public transport – for example, if you use a wheelchair and your journey includes a train station that does not have ramps;
  • taxi fares to work or a support worker if you cannot use public transport safely because of coronavirus (COVID-19) – for example, if you’re blind and because of this you’re unable to stay apart from other people;
  • a support worker or job coach to help you in your workplace;
  • personal protective equipment for your support worker, if you employ them yourself;
  • disability awareness training for your colleagues;
  • the cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job;

Access to Work can also help assess whether your needs can be met through reasonable adjustments by your employer.

Mental Health Support

You can get confidential support and advice from a trained healthcare professional from the Mental Health Support Service. You do not need to have a diagnosed condition to use the service. You do not have to get Access to Work to get support from the Mental Health Support Service, but you must be eligible.

To be eligible for help from Access to Work you must;

  • have a disability or health condition (physical or mental) that makes it hard for you to do parts of your job or get to and from work;
  • be 16 or over;
  • live in England, Scotland or Wales;

You also need to have a paid job, or be about to start or return to one.

A paid job could include;

  • self-employment
  • an apprenticeship
  • a work trial or work experience
  • an internship

For further details on eligibility see Access to Work – eligibility

How to apply for Access to Work

For details on the application process, its various stages and the renewal of what may be an annual application please go to the links below;