Join CAUK today


Support CAUK today

Contact Us

Phone or email

DVLA Advice


This information is a summary of the information available on the DVLA website, correct as of the 1st of September 2023.  DVLA are continuously reviewing their documentation, so we always advise checking with them directly as well as notifying your insurers.  To help aid your understanding of how your doctor or consultant will determine if your cavernoma affects your driving you may find it helpful to read the DVLA guidance for assessing clinicians, which can be found here (page 44).

  • Car or motorcycle licence

    Check with your doctor or consultant if your cavernoma will affect your driving and needs to be reported to DVLA.

  • Bus, coach or lorry licence

    You must tell DVLA if you have a cavernoma.

  • Epileptic seizures

    You must tell DVLA if you’ve had any epileptic seizures or blackouts.  For more guidance on epilepsy and driving please click here.

  • You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result..

How do you inform the DVLA?

You can use the DVLA website to report your condition using form B1.