Join CAUK today


Support CAUK today

Contact Us

Phone or email

Disability Facilities Grants

You may be able to apply for a Disability Facilities Grant (DFG) if you are disabled and need to make necessary adaptations to your home to improve your quality of life, for example;

  • the widening of doors and installation of ramps;
  • improving access to rooms and facilities – e.g. stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom;
  • provision of a heating system suitable for your needs;
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.

This list is not exhaustive.

The DFG does not affect any other benefits you get. But, how much you get depends on your household income and household savings. Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property. 

As with any benefit there are clear rules on eligibility. The grant is administered by your Local Council. The award can be granted whether you (or the disabled person) owns the property or is only a tenant and can be awarded directly to a landlord whom has a disabled tenant. 

How to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant

The application process is done through your local council, you can find out who your local Council is by going to and adding your post code.