Join CAUK today


Support CAUK today

Contact Us

Phone or email

Employment and Support Allowance

You can claim Employment and Support Allowance if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work. This is known as ‘having limited capability for work’. Information on this benefit can be found at

ESA provides financial support to help with living costs if you’re unable to work and supports you to get back into work if you’re able to.
You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed and must be aged between 16 years and state pension age. There are further complex rules regarding eligibility for ESA. For details please see

You need to make a claim for ESA on-line. For details on how to make the claim be visit

There are also extra conditions regarding working while claiming ESA. For more details see ESA –

There are a range of payments possible for ESA. The payment you receive will depend on the stage of your application, your age and whether you are likely to return to work. You do get some payment whilst your claim is being assessed. For more details please go to

As with PIP the range of and decision on payment also depends on an assessment. In this case it is called a Work Capability Assessment. For more details on this part of the process see

It is also especially important to keep your details up to date with regards to this benefit. If your circumstances change, your entitlement may change see: